Denver is a city of the future or the past, I am not really sure. It has some absolutely mysterious places like Cheesman Park or Brown Palace. Also the longest and evilest street in the US, i.e. Colfax, is right here for you. Check it out when the main construction projects are over and you can actually enjoy your visit, haha.
Colorado is a great place to travel any time and not just because everyone talks about it. It has a lot to offer for hikers, climbers, skiers and all kind of thrill seekers. The city of Denver and the state of Colorado can and will be immensely enjoyable if you are informed and prepared well. Here is a list of things to consider before visiting.
- Plan to stay an extra day or two before you climb the fourteeners. Time to acclimate will make your trip 10 times better.
- Experience the local music and art scene. Dazzle, Nocturne and Mercury cafe are great for jazz, blues and more. Denver Art Museum and Kirkland Museum of Decorative Art are definitely worth your time.
- Check out local breweries like Coors, Prost and Tivoli. There are 95 more names I can’t remember, but I am sure you will find something to your taste.
- Eat. Places to eat are so multiple and diverse, I am easily lost. Mexican food is delicious and authentic here, try local cafes and enjoy the vibe. My favorites are: Viet’s, Wokano’s, Pho Haus ($), Pete’s Kitchen, Irish Rover, La Cour Bistro and Parisi ($$).
- Walk. 16 Street Mall is a major attraction for tourists who love shopping, rooftop bars, cabaret, ballet and movies to catch the spirit of the city.
- Celebrate. Summer time is full of festivals and all kind of fun events, check out the calendar to choose something to suit your taste at Denver.org/events.
- Hike. Red Rocks, Lookout Mountain and Garden of the Gods will be easy nearby nature spots to enjoy. If you are willing to spend some time driving Mount Evans and Pike’s Peak are two car accessible fourteeners, check out the weather before you go.
- Drink lots of water. Wear sunscreen and sunglasses. Bring comfortable shoes / clothes.
For transportation you can ride a bike, walk, get an Uber or try RTD for some destinations. Rent a car to explore Colorado on your own or take a train to Granby which is one of the train accessible destinations. Denver is a city of the future, soon it might turn into a fairy tale and I believe it will.